One day - One News

Email This Page

BP accelerates in Egypt with North El Burg discoveries to complete West Nile Delta development

BP hits gas in Egypt Nile Delta Block North El Burg

BP and International Egyptian Oil Company (IEOC), the local operating company of the Eni Egypt, confirmed two news gas discoveriesTaurt North and Seth South, in its offshore concession of the North El Burg, in the Nile Delta, Egypt.

These findings follow 50 years of BP’s exploration and production in Egypt supported by more than $17 billion of capital expenditure making BP the biggest oil and gas producer in Egypt in partnership with the national oil company (NOC) Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC).

Today BP produces about:

 – 15% of Egypt oil production

 – 40% of the local demand in natural gas.

Through this cooperation and with the Gulf of Suez Petroleum Company (GUPCO), a joint venture between BP  and EGPC, BP committed to increase the plateau level of the oil production in the Gulf of Suez and to meet the local demand in natural gas.

In this context, BP is actively working with its local partners on further exploration within the Nile Delta and on the production enhancement from the existing oil and gas fields.

By these developments, BP and EGPC aim at creating a world scale gas activity from the gas-rich offshore Nile Delta to provide a competitive and sustainable  feedstock for a new phase of hydrocarbons transformation industry in Egypt.

BP moves on West Nile Delta $13 billion project

BP holds working interests in eleven concessions in the Nile Delta, with operator role in six.

From this base, BP started a new program with the West Nile Delta (WND) giant project to request $13 billion capital expenditure in its first phase.

With the West Nile Delta project, BP is targeting to close the gap of the domestic demand in gas in covering 100% of Egypt’s needs

West Nile Delta is made of two offshore concessions located on west side of the Nile Delta, Egypt:

 – North Alexandria where BP holds 60% and is the operator, while the utility company RWE Dea from Germany owns the remaining 40%

 – West Mediterranean Deep Water where BP is the operator with 80% working interest and RWE Dea 20%.

Between 2001 and 2010, BP achieved an extensive exploration and appraisal campaign in the West Nile Delta which materialized by eight significant Pliocene discoveries (Giza, Fayoum, Taurus, Libra, Ruby, Maadi, Viper, Polaris) and two Miocene discoveries (Raven, Taurus Deep) and one Oligocene discovery (Hodoa).

In the first phase of the West Nile Delta project BP will develop the five fields Giza, Fayoum, Raven, Taurus and Libra.

The conceptual study was completed in 2009 to propose this first phase of development to rely on 24 subsea wells tied back to shore by three export trunk lines to a new onshore gas central processing facility (CPF).

The production in West Nile Delta is planned to come into commercial operation by 2015.

North El Burg discoveries to complete West Nile Delta

BP and International Egyptian Oil Company (IEOC), the local operating company of the Eni Egypt, are cooperating with 50/50 shared working interests in the exploration and development of the offshore concession of the North El Burg, in the Nile Delta, Egypt .

The Taurt North and Seth South gas discoveries are located in the shallow waters of the North El Burg offshore concession by 80 – 100 meters of water depth.

Since 2005 when BP got the North El Burg concession and operating role, the Taurt North and Seth South discoveries represent the fourth and fifth findings within the North El Burg Concession after Satis-1, Satis-3 and Salmon-1.

IEOC performed the successful appraisal wells under the behalf of BP the operator.

Now BP is considering to tie the two discoveries in the nearby existing infrastructure of the North El Burg concession

With the on going development of the West Nile Delta (WND) giant project in joint venture with RWE and the offshore discoveries in the North El Burg concession in joint venture with IEOC from Eni, BP is leading the game changing process to provide Egypt with natural gas self sufficiency to meet its actual demand by 2015 and prepare ground for the development of its petrochemical industry.

For more information and data about oil and gas and petrochemical projects go to Project Smart Explorer

3 Comments to “BP accelerates in Egypt with North El Burg discoveries to complete West Nile Delta development”

  1. Hello there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am sure they will be benefited from this site.

  2. Thanks in favor of sharing such a good thought, piece of writing is nice, thats why i have read it entirely

Leave a Reply

The majority of financial loan companies provide the service of getting North Carolina Loans Online for U.S. citizens.